Undergraduate Enrollment FAQ


photo (10)


Below are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions posed to us by prospective students:

How flexible is the UPR undergraduate program?  Do working professionals or stay-at-home parents, for example, enroll?

UPR online courses are designed so that students may access study materials, engage in forum discussions and complete assignments at any time of the day convenient to them.  Online learning provides students the opportunity to achieve their academic pursuits who need to schedule their own time for learning.  Our courses do, however, demand a large degree of focus and attention.  Our Administrative Staff is available Monday-Friday (10am-4pm) to help UPR applicants and students who need assistance enrolling in the appropriate number of classes to suit their schedules. You may reach us at: admin@uprs.edu or 323.663.2167 ext.112

May I enroll as a part-time student?

Yes, the UPR undergraduate programs and courses can be pursued on a part-time audit-only basis. You may enroll as an audit student in any of our undergraduate or graduate courses, engage in forum discussions, and complete assignments and research papers or projects at your convenience, within the time-constraints of the study-calendar.  Audit students, however, do not receive university credit.  Click here for information on auditing courses.

UPR’s undergraduate program requires that its students must attend at least 3 quarters per calendar year to be considered as an enrolled student.  UPR students have a maximum of 22 quarters (5.5 years) to finish their undergraduate coursework.

How often will I need access to a computer?

The study materials for UPR courses are available both online and in DVD/CD form, containing video, audio and text material. These can all be studied wherever you have computer access. The predominant part of the study materials are the audio lectures, which can also be listened to on any audio playback system – during travel, housework or free time anywhere. For forum discussions and Skype conferences, you will need weekly access to the internet and a webcam.

Why do I need an Associate’s Degree to be eligible for the program?

The University of Philosophical Research is an advanced and specialized educational institution and as such, prospective students must have completed an Associate of Arts degree or its equivalent of 90 quarter credits or 60 semester credits of lower division undergraduate study with a minimum GPA of 2.0.  Our program is catered toward students who have completed their basic college-level courses and are looking for an independent, integral and wisdom-oriented approach to higher education.

What qualifies as an Associate’s Degree?

The Associate of Arts degree is awarded for 90 quarter credits (60 semester credits) of lower division undergraduate study with a minimum GPA of at least a 2.0 (“C”). UPR will accept undergraduate transfer credits equivalent to an accredited Associate of Arts degree in the areas of general educational competency (reading, writing and mathematics), natural sciences, social sciences and humanities.  Please click here to view a list of applicable credits.

I have a specific field of research I am interested in delving into, when can I choose a major?

Each student is required to complete a minimum of 18 credits (6 courses) in each of the four areas, philosophy, psychology, religion and culture (PHI, PSY, REL, CUL), offered within the program (72 credits total). The student can then decide on a specific major area of concentration in their studies. The student must complete a minimum of 30 credits (10 courses) within their chosen area of concentration to declare it as their major.

Does the UPR B.A. program help in regards to becoming a professional counselor?

UPR is not a professional school.  UPR’s academic programs are primarily geared towards the growth of knowledge and transformation of consciousness, leading to the acquisition of universal values and the integral development of the human being. Through the enhanced comprehension and self-reflective assimilation involved in UPR programs, students will be enabled to mobilize their latent potential and engage in a more effective and responsible way in whatever they have chosen as their field of work.

Does this university qualify in regards to applying for student loan?

There are loan programs available for students of accredited universities. For more information, contact the Registrar.

How are tuition fees accepted?  One lump sum, over the course of the program?

The student does not need to pay the total cost of the program at initial enrollment.  Payment of fees is needed on a quarter basis, depending on the number of courses taken.

What if I don’t finish the program?  Am I liable for the entire program fee?

No, there is no stipulation in the contract obliging the student to pay the total program cost. Fees need to be paid only for courses taken.

How many courses do I need to take to complete my Bachelor’s at UPR?

For a Bachelor’s degree, students need to complete at least 90 (quarter) credits of course work, equating to about 30 classes.

How much time can I take to finish the program?

Students may complete the 90 credits of Course Work in as few as 6 Quarters (1.5 years), with a minimum of 15 credits (or 5 courses) per Term. Alternatively, students can take as many as 15 Quarters/Terms, with a minimum of 6 credits (2 courses) per Term. Students have a maximum of 22 quarters (5.5 years) to complete the undergraduate program.

Do courses need to be taken in a particular order?

UPR has four academic quarters in a year. Courses are distributed quarter-wise through the academic calendar. A course can be taken in any quarter in which it is offered.

When can I enroll for a UPR program or course?

The UPR academic calendar is divided into four quarters – Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall. A student may apply for enrollment to a UPR program or course in any one of these quarters. Please view UPR’s Enrollment Calendar for more info.

Is every course offered every quarter?

No. Courses are distributed according to the annual Academic Calendar. Please be advised that we are continuing to add courses to our undergraduate program.

Is the credit acquired here transferable to other institutions?

Credit acquired by students in accredited universities are considered for transfer by most universities.  We suggest that students check in with the college or university in question should they have specific longterm plans for their studies.

Are there special requirements for international students?

If you have received your Associate’s Degree or its equivalent in another country, documentation must be provided that the institution offers degree programs equivalent to those approved by the U.S. Department of Education. Students who are not first-language English proficient must provide verification English proficiency in the form of a TOEFL test with a minimum score of 530. Click here for more information on applying as an international student.

Will I need to travel to the University at any point?

There is no mandatory requirement for physical presence for UPR distance graduate programs. However, extra-curricular educational events such as seminars, workshops and colloquia aligned with UPR courses and programs are hosted at UPR premises in Los Angeles, CA and the UPR library is available for reference materials. UPR has no residential facilities.

I live too far from Los Angeles to conduct research in the UPR library, but require certain resources not widely available.  What do I do?

UPR’s Research Library is currently undergoing several digitization projects and its entire catalog should be available in a digital format within the year.  If a student requires specific materials for their research, our librarian can scan and send digital content to UPR students.  Please visit our library page for more information.

What kind of interactions should a student expect with faculty members?

UPR academic courses are conducted online using the popular world wide web-based classroom management software system, Moodle. Students and faculty members engage in conversations using the forum feature for the specific class on this platform as well as maintain e-mail correspondence. The course format also includes three mandatory one-hour Skype and/or teleconferences, when students can participate together in conversation with their professors.

What type of equipment does the student need in order to join the distance learning program?

To successfully take and complete UPR distance learning courses, the student needs to provide assurance of access to a personal computer with worldwide web access and must have an e-mail account and e-mail access. See the section on Virtual Classroom.

If the student drops a course does he/she get the money back?

See the section on Withdrawal and Refund policy on our Tuition page. UPR refund polices are in line with mandated state and national educational policies.

May I take electives?

The UPR programs are specifically designed to be interdisciplinary and cross-analytic.  We encourage our students to choose from a wide selection of course offerings that continues to expand and diversify.

How do I get my undergraduate records to you and what do you require?

As part of the Admissions Application process, the student’s undergraduate records need to be sent directly to UPR by the records office of the degree-granting institute or sealed official transcript(s) of undergraduate courses taken should be enclosed with the application by the student. See the section on Admissions Requirements.