Undergraduate Tuition



Fees for the Bachelor of Arts Degree are as follows (in US dollars), applicable to Degree students, Single Course students, and Audit students. All students, regardless of status must complete enrollment forms and supply the application fee:



At present there is no publicly funded financial aid programs that UPR participates in. Scholarships may be available from time to time. Please inquire with the Registrar’s office.


Required textbooks may be purchased by the student through various retail sources and the Internet, or through UPR’s Campus Bookstore (by phone at 1.800.548.4062 or e-mail at admin@uprs.edu). Shipping charges are not included for books. Please see the itemized book list on page 35-36 for details of required text books and costs. Textbooks, whether purchased through UPR, or through outside vendors, are non-returnable. (Please note, prices are subject to change, and reflect the most current publisher suggested retail price as of this printing of the Catalog.)


Tuition may be paid in full at the time of registration. However, students are enrolled in courses on a quarter-by-quarter basis and the “Single Course Tuition” for each course must be paid before the start of Term, and before the student receives any course materials. Students should make arrangements to satisfy tuition and fees through the Registrar. Students may pay their fees by check, credit card (VISA or MasterCard) or money order. All checks and money orders should be made payable to “University of Philosophical Research” for the exact amount of the charges. The University regularly contacts students regarding tuition, however it is the student’s responsibility to be aware of outstanding account balances and pay them promptly, or to make arrangements for scheduled credit card billing.



Students have the right to withdraw from a course of instruction at any time. If the student withdraws after midnight of the eighth business day after the first day they received their first lesson, the University will calculate the amount the student owes from the time of attendance according to the following formula: The amount owed shall be determined on a pro-rata basis depending on how many clock or credit hours attended versus how many clock or credit hours paid for. UPR will keep a portion of the cancellation fee (not to exceed $100). If the amount paid is more than the amount owed for the time attended, a refund will be made within 30 days. If the amount owed is more than the amount already paid, the student will have to make arrangements for payment.

The withdrawal date for refund computation is the last date of attendance in class. The student is also deemed to have withdrawn for refund purposes, if the institution terminates enrollment as provided in the enrollment agreement.

A student who elects to withdraw from the program is entitled to a refund of tuition after the written cancellation notice is received. Refunds are made according to the following schedule as set forth for postsecondary schools by the California State Department of Education:

to 10% of the course, 90% refund of paid tuition;

to 25% of the course, 75% refund of paid tuition;

to 331/3% of course, 662/3% refund of paid tuition;

to 50% of the course, 50% refund of paid tuition;

to 60% of the course, 40% refund of paid tuition.

The effective date for determining a refund is the date the Office of Student Services receives the notification of cancellation. Refunds will be paid within 30 days of receipt of notification of cancellation and return of albums.


The Student Tuition Recovery Fund was established by the California State Legislature to protect any California resident who attends a private postsecondary institution from losing money. If you prepaid tuition and suffered a financial loss as a result of a school closing, failing to live up to its enrollment agreement or refusing to pay a court judgment.

To be eligible for STRF, you must be a “California resident” and reside in California at the time the enrollment agreement is signed or when you receive lessons at the California mailing address from an approved institution offering correspondence instruction. Students who are temporarily residing in California for the sole purpose of pursuing an education, specifically those who hold student visas, are not considered a “California resident.”

To qualify for STRF reimbursement you must file a STRF application within one year of receiving notice from the Bureau for Private Post-Secondary and Vocational Education that the school is closed. If you do not receive notice from the Bureau, you have four (4) years from the date of closure to file a STRF application. If a judgment has been obtained by you, a STRF application must be filed within two (2) years.